Shake 38

Discussions

• You’re watching it like a thriller…
    Started by Stephen on Apr 25, 2014
    3 replies Replies / 49695 Views
    0 Recommendations

Dame Helen Mirren reflects on Shakespeare on his 450th birthday.

When were you first introduced to Shakespeare?

Descending / Ascending

RE: by Elsa on May 25, 2014

What a wonderful clip. I was introduced to Shakespeare by a children’s book called ‘Favorite Tales from Shakespeare,’ illustrated by Victor G. Ambrus. I remember just staring at a small illustration of Lady Macbeth. She had a cloud of red hair and as I child I did not know what to make of this character who looked like a princess but who was, apparently, quite evil. I also remember that version of Twelfth Night introducing me to the conundrum of Malvolio. The story, altered and abbreviated for a children’s book, retained that dissonance, that discomfort with the severity of his punishment at the end. I remember puzzling over it. What about you?

X
    YOUR COMMENT
    You must log in to comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

/ Hide /   !  
    RE: by Stephen on May 28, 2014

The first time I can remember being introduced to Shakespeare was in english class when we read Macbeth. It was actually a terrible experience. We had to read aloud sections of the play and I was chastised for my lack of rhythm. I loved the movie 10 Things I Hate About You, but only learned later that it was an adapted version of The Taming of the Shrew.

X
    YOUR COMMENT

/ Hide /   !  
    RE: by Elsa on May 30, 2014

I recently watched 10 Things I Hate About You for the first time in years. It really holds up, in my opinion! I was inspired to watch it again after I saw the BBC ShakespeaRe-Told version of Taming of the Shrew. The two films are interesting to compare. As you said, you can watch 10 Things and not guess that it’s adapted from Shakespeare. The 2005 BBC movie, even though the setting is also contemporary and the language not Shakespeare’s, feels more ‘authentic,’ to use the word from your other post. I think it would be fun to compare the two in detail.

X
    YOUR COMMENT

/ Hide /   !  
Comment+
X